Sunday, August 5, 2012

Chevron Quilt

Quilting has always been the stress reliever for me when I was working, going to school or having an overdose of three teenagers.  I spent time deciding on what to make and for whom.  I try to choose fabrics that either have meaning for them or that I know they will enjoy.  The only times that are especially difficult are cutting things out and hand sewing binding.  I try to do those first thing in the morning when the RA isn't making joints swollen and hands hard to use.

I have a desire to create a bright quilt for my youngest grandson, age eight months.  And I wanted to use a pin off Pinterest.  It gave me the opportunity to use using several fat quarters in orange prints as well as 5 background prints.  Note, there are several Florida Gator block since the family follows Florida.

The original pin came from Kirsty @ Bonjour  http://youhadmeatbonjourblog.blogspot.fr/2012/03/tutorial-modern-chevron-baby-quilt-crib.html.  It was so beautiful, I pinned it to make one for a grandchild.

The picture below is the first six rows of a planned chevron design.  I made sure that I numbered and tagged each row as it was completed to preserve the design.  With dogs, cat and grandchildren in and out, I knew before it was all sewn together they might get messed up.



The pattern and design is quite beautiful.  Although I must have been quite mad to cut out 432 small blocks (3.5 and 3.0 blocks).

This is a handful of rows waiting to be pressed and added to the design table.


These are the last couple rows waiting to be stitched, pressed and then put on the design wall.  There are 24 rows of 18 blocks each.  If you make this, look at the tutorial that Kirsty has on her blog.  I wish that I had!  See awesome diagram under the table?  Kirsty diagrammed the quilt for visual people like me.  Awesome!

One of the major issues with RA is that everything takes more time than it used to.  I haven't been able to sew today since my hands are swollen.  I'll spend the day looking or reading magazines, working on this blog or spending time with grandchildren.  Once the Orencia kicks in, I'll be back with more pictures and an update.  Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.